Friday, September 5, 2014

Ethereal


Mother

When the wind sweeps o’er the moor,
And the heather rustles, disturbed, ‘neath the weight of it,
When the rich scent of peat coats the forty green shades,
And the wee folk chatter in the deep mists of evening,


I return to the cairn to dance with the babe
Stolen from me, the night the banshee screamed.
We cavort on the stones that mark the bones,
Dancing our lullaby, our Danny Boy,
To the tempo of the gales
That wrench our breath from our lungs,
Mine healthy and pink, hers gray with ash and rot.


We frolic and gambol in our own wild art
Through the night when the gray dawn lightens the mist
And the cairn claws my baby back to its cold breast again.


They say I am spirit, the woman of the mists,
Who wrings her hands while treading the moor.


Perhaps I am. Perhaps I am simply Mother.

Till next eventide, my babe.
My Stella.

No comments:

Post a Comment